Thursday, December 28

The Devil Wears Prada

I saw this movie in the theatre when it was originally released. I remember being pretty psyched to see it. I really enjoyed the book and thought that the cast would do it justice. I was pleasantly surprised by E.Blunt [a relative unknown] who plays the first assistant, Emily. There's a lot of Oscar talk for M.Streep, and deservedly because she's so good in this film. I thought it was really interesting that in an interview she said that she has very little interest or knowledge of fashion. Also, I had forgotten how awesome the montage is [was] where Miranda (Streep) throws her coat and purse on the desk with whatever the day's random thing she wants done immediately. The ending, I felt, was much more dramatic in the book, but that's my only gripe.

Finally, the thing I was struck by with the second viewing of the film was that it's totally "which came first, the chicken or the egg?" -- the whole premise is SO similar to the tv show, Ugly Betty that it's surprising that L.Weisberger didn't sue, or vice versa, I suppose, by the originators of the show, Betty, Le Fea. As far as plot structure along with keeping the idea fresh and exciting week-to-week, the tv show definitely has a "heel up" on the competition.

No comments: