Monday, January 1

Dreamgirls


Not sure what I expecting. I think due to the whole busy-ness of the weekend and fitting this in with everything else that I would have enjoyed it more if I had seen it at a different juncture. Hopefully, I'll catch the beginning at some point in time...I fell asleep for the first half of the movie. It's wasn't terrribly hard to follow, so it wasn't as bad as it could have been. I don't think that this is the movie of the year, but I definitely think that J.Hudson is the actress to beat in the Best Supporting Actress category this year. She was amazing! So much nuance to the role. On the other hand, what they have been saying about B.Knowles, I was really trying not to believe, because I like her. I think she's real and I don't have a "problem" with her being a triple threat [singer/actress/dancer]. However, it's very telling in the film where J.Foxx's character says he chose her to be the lead singer of the group because she is the most "characterless" (I don't remember the exact wording); there were certain points in the movie where she should have been emoting and there was just a blank look in her eyes where with another actress you would have seen about 25 things flash around in her head as the cogs and emotions swirled in there. The other standout was E.Murphy. Amazing; you really had no idea that a guy who sang "Party All The Time" in the 80's could be this actor. So, all in all, a movie worth seeing.

2007 Tally, Theatre : 1

No comments: